Sterling Accreditation > Sterling Accreditation Helpdesk > Knowledgebase

Ask a question:

Key points:

Solution • an EPC is required whenever a building1 is sold, constructed or rented out
• the EPC shows the energy efficiency rating (relating to running costs) of a dwelling.
The rating is shown on an A–G rating scale similar to those used for refrigerators
and other electrical appliances. An example of an EPC is included at Annex C
• the EPC includes recommendations on how to improve the dwelling’s energy
efficiency. There is no statutory requirement to carry out any of the recommended
energy efficiency measures stated. The EPC also includes information showing
which of these measures would be eligible for finance under the Green Deal
scheme, if they were to be carried out. More information on the Green Deal can be
found at
• when a new home is constructed, it is the responsibility of the builder to provide an
EPC when the building is physically completed.
• landlords and sellers must provide an EPC free of charge to interested parties2 at
the earliest opportunity and must provide a copy of the EPC to the person who
takes up the tenancy or the successful buyer
• estate agents and other third parties must ensure that an EPC has been
commissioned before they can market a property for sale or rent. In addition, all
advertisements in the commercial media must clearly show the property’s EPC
rating, where this is available
• EPCs are valid for 10 years and can be reused as many times as required within
that period. It is not necessary to commission a new EPC each time there is a
change of tenant, or the property is sold. Where more than one EPC is produced
for a building, the most recent EPC is the valid one
• in the social or private rental sector, an EPC is not required for any property that
was occupied prior to 1 October 2008 and which continues to be occupied by the
same tenant. However, landlords may commission EPCs for these dwellings if they

1 A building requiring an EPC must have: a roof and walls; and use energy to condition the indoor environment. A building can be: the whole of a building; or part of a building where the part is designed or altered to be used separately. For residential purposes, ‘designed or altered to be used separately’ describes a unit that is self contained, meaning that it does not share essential facilities such as a bathroom/shower room, wc or kitchen with any other unit, and that it has its own entrance, either from outside or through common parts, that is not through another dwelling

2 Prospective tenants or buyers
Article details
Article ID: 194
Category: Energy Performance Certificates (Domestic)
Date added: 22-03-2013 09:36:00
Views: 439

<< Go back


© Copyright 2013 - Sterling Accreditation Limited, Registered in England & Wales No. 6864378